February 25, 2016

E-day (EPU)

I set off at 6.55 this morning via cab into the city. Luckily the traffic across the bridge wasn't too bad so I was there in 15 minutes. The building is still undergoing repairs so a Genea rep was in the foyer providing lift access to the 4th floor only. After checking into reception I was taken straight through to the day surgery, rather than having to change & leave my belongings in a locker first. Thank god, as I wasn't given a magazine or anything, so I could use my iPhone for entertainment & to contact hubby.

He was at home getting our little guy ready for daycare, which didn't open til 8am. We don't normally take him til around 9.30am so it was a major operation. He did it well but unfortunately his cab was 15 mins late. Either way he wasn't going to make it in time for my egg collection which happened about 8.10am so I had to go it alone, again.

I was escorted into theatre by my FS doctor who pushed the recliner from my cubicle in for me to use later. Two nurses got me prepared & in the operating chair, before my FS started working on getting the cannular into my hand for my light sedation (Fentanyl). He had a false start in my right hand (ouch!) so had to switch to my left. That was probably the worst part of the whole ordeal! Within a minute I started feeling lightheaded & was laid back ready for the procedure. FS inserted the speculum, cleaned me inside, then started administering the local anaesthetic to my ovaries. That was a tiny bit ouchy at times. He proceeded to drain each of my follicles, of which we'd seen 7 on the last ultrasound. I could feel a slight bit of poking on the inside but it definitely wasn't hugely painful - I just took a deep breath & it was over in seconds.

The lovely embryologist, who had briefed me on the procedure earlier, was in the room, looking through the fluid retrieved from my follicles. She told me they found 5 eggs so my FS removed everything from my vajajay & finished up. I was given a moment to regather before being helped into the recliner & wheeled back to my cubicle. I was given tea, toast, biscuits and Panadeine. The embryologist came back in to tell me they had 4 good eggs to work with & would call me later after they cleaned them up, thawed the sperm & injected them (I'm having ICSI). FS came in to check on me & discuss the next steps. I asked about doing a 3 day transfer if we end up with only one embryo, seeing as this may be our last shot, but he wasn't particularly keen on that scenario. He didn't think it would make a difference to the chance of success, and in fact would prefer to save us the angst of enduring a TWW for nothing. Anyway, he was happy to discuss that later once we know what we're working with.

I'm still waiting for a call from the clinic (my advice: have a nap as soon as you get home.. I'm now ready for a nap but at 3.49pm, there's a good chance the clinic will call the minute I fall asleep!).

Update to follow...
*crossing fingers*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.